A pandemic won't spare America. A surprising number will die. The story will dominate major news headlines for at least two weeks.
I will have much more to say on this topic within the analysis section of this blog. But for now, here's the facile reasoning:
- Americans are fat, sick, and stressed, and will be getting only fatter, sicker, and more stressed during Mr. Bush's second term
- Fat, sick, stressed people have depressed immune systems, making them highly susceptible to infection
- The world is due for another pandemic
- Viruses can spread faster than vaccines can be invented to counteract them
- Concerning this prospect, America is as asleep and unprepared as it was for 9/11